*

*
*

Friday, April 18, 2014

RETREAT

"Silence is the universal refuge."
~Henry David Thoreau~
 
Modern life requires an awful lot of running around, driving up and down the road, and back and forth across town. Modern life also requires a lot of instant contact and communication; so much so, in fact, that though a day of no contact and no running around might sound appealing, my guess is that if we did it, we would feel antsy and restless rather than relieved.
     But maybe we ought to do it anyway, every once in a while- a kind of still and silent retreat- for a few hours, or a day, or longer. I feel myself leap to concern even in the contemplation of such a thing: what about my laptop, I'm wondering... couldn't that slip by because it's where I write? Maybe it could, but that's not the point. The point is that I think we need the retreat but can't fathom the real reality of taking it.
     Let's start by fathoming it, and then, maybe, one day, we will find the willingness to leave our excuses by the wayside and make it happen.

I consider stillness and silence and how I might incorporate these things more readily into my life.