*

*
*

Sunday, August 10, 2014

SENSATIONAL RECALL

"We will not regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it."
~Bill Wilson~

Our senses are memory chambers. A certain scent or taste or sound or view can carry us back in time and evoke emotions from the depths of our being, unknown and unrecalled until that moment of recognition: the once familiar.
     Wood-smoke and the honking of Canadian Geese do this to me, and songs from my years in college, and the cooing of mourning doves. It's spooky and comforting at the same time- surprising, startling even, but never completely unwelcome. It is our past come up again: the things that went into making us who we are.

I am touched by the recollection of my sensory perception and curiously welcome the emotions that arise within me from long forgotten sights and scents and sounds.