*

*
*

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

TAKING A SCOLDING

"Sometimes people hear you better if you speak with a voice of compassion instead of authority. They long to be understood more than to be lectured."
~ Dodinsky ~

A woman barked at my friend and me in Whole Foods 
because we weren't following the current cultural rules as she understands them
to her satisfaction. 
Her wrath was jarring. 
She told us in no uncertain terms to get our s**t together. 
And I "get" that she is likely fearful- that the looming Corona Virus has made her edgy and uptight.
It's done that to many of us.
Still though, I am not used to being yelled at by strangers.
We are living in a world of uncertainty, that's true,
But it doesn't mean we can't
Remember who we are at core,
That we have hearts and feelings,
And be kind. 

I drop my arrogance and righteousness and honor the dignity in others, wherever, and however I may find them.