*

*
*

Thursday, March 8, 2012

MONEY TALK

     Discussions about money are among the most unpleasant and stressful in my life. Financial balance and wholeness always feels so teetering to me; so tentative and fragile. One unexpected strike from somewhere- the total breakdown of a car, or an unanticipated accumulation of medical bills, or something major to do with home ownership, threatens to topple my whole sense of stability.
     And yet, I know from experience, that everything- everything! can be handled piecemeal- in little bits, over time... my emotions as well as my bills. We eek it out. We fill the gas tank one more time. We make it against all odds. We survive financially, in spite of my fear, and in spite of my desire to avoid the topic altogether and pretend it doesn't exist. It has to be dealt with, whether I resist it or not. The money subject always has to be faced.

I get over my resistance to conversations about money and let them just be one more thing. I unload the emotional charge, take a deep breath, and begin.