*

*
*

Thursday, March 15, 2012

SOMETHING USEFUL TO REMEMBER

     A friend of mine once told me to imagine a small table between me and anyone with whom I am communicating. I find this especially helpful when the conversation is emotionally charged and potentially heated. Whatever is said to me lands on this imaginary table, and I can look at it lying there, and consider it before I make a decision about how to respond.
     I can pick it up and fling it back, or pick it up and consume it, choking on the words as I swallow them down. I can play with it; roll it over and over in my hands, or re-arrange it and put it back on the table. I can throw it away. Or... I can just let it sit there. I don't have to pick it up at all. I can finish the conversation and walk away and leave it lying there, right where it landed.
     The thing for me to remember is that what I do with whatever is said to me is my choice. I don't have to be hurt by hurtful words.

Just because somebody says something about me or to me does not make it a fact.