*

*
*

Friday, July 20, 2012

POTHOLES

     I seem to cruise happily along the road of life, and then hit a patch of potholes. Something triggers me and I find myself suddenly focused on what's wrong. I am overcome unexpectedly with darkness. Hours of smooth pavement and pleasure in the ride become splattered with edginess and irritability, and this seems to be my pattern. I sink temporarily. And then the rough road is just as suddenly behind me and it is smooth sailing yet again. It feels erratic to me. I'd like to be able to transition with more grace, or learn to somehow not lose my pleasure in the potholes. I seem to get so easily hooked by thorns. I don't think it has to be that way. I believe I can learn to laugh when I bounce. I believe I can learn to live without crashing every time I encounter a dip.

I recognize when I hit potholes in my day and don't let them sink me. I trust that the road will smooth out yet again.

.