*

*
*

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

SPREADING LIGHT

     We have the ability to lift each other up. When we encounter someone who is having a bad day; who is over-wrought with stress or negativity, we can spread a bit of cheer upon them and watch them transform before our eyes. If we are quiet and grounded; if we do not take their darkness personally and get defensive; if we listen and acknowledge their hardships and are willing to share related stories from our own experience; then we can change the quality of their day.
     It's about love. It's about a willingness to be loving. It comes from compassion and an open heart and the ability to see. If we pay attention, we can see worry and stress in others. We can see fear and resentment, and we can sense these things as well. And with our love, we can dispel them. We can scatter the darkness in others by spreading our light.

When I encounter people who are full of darkness and stress, I center myself and engage my compassion. I watch them soften and sweeten as I shower them with love.