*

*
*

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

FOOTWORK AND SURRENDER

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
~Reinhold Niebuhr~

I would never be foolish enough to think I could stop the rain from falling with the force of my will, and yet, so many other things- equally uncontrollable in my life- I believe I can manipulate: that I have more power over outcomes than I do, and more power over other people.
     We can expend as much effort as is humanly possible; we can come at things from every angle and use all of our wit and skill and planning and pleading, but none of that changes the facts. We cannot control what we cannot control, and the sooner we accept that, the more peaceful and fulfilling our lives will become.

I do what I can and let go of the rest.