*

*
*

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

SELF-BETRAYAL

"If a thousand old beliefs were ruined in our march to truth we must still march on."
~Stopford Brook~

We must look within for our own truth. We won't find it in others- not in parents or gurus or lovers or friends. We so readily sell ourselves out and doubt our instincts and hand over our power to those who impress us in one way or another. They seem to know. They have the answers. They will save us, and guide us, and carry us. And no one is more disappointed than we are  when things don't turn out the way they were promised. We feel betrayed. We feel we have been duped.
     And we have, but not in the way we think. When we give our power away, when we turn our precious lives over to the whims of others, it is ourselves that we betray, and ourselves that we abandon, and ourselves that we have unintentionally wronged.

I do not allow others to run my life. I maintain myself as the ultimate authority on me.