*

*
*

Thursday, July 17, 2014

THE WASTE OF WORRY

"We are more disturbed by a calamity which threatens us than by one which has befallen us."
~John Lancaster Spalding~

Most of what we worry about doesn't happen. It dissolves in the mist of time and evaporates before it has come to fruition. Other things happen instead: the unanticipated and unforeseen.
     I have a tendency to consider the future with a certain amount of dread, as if I am guaranteed suffering and hardship. I fret over these things as possibilities, but in truth, I am blessed by life more than I am cursed. I am regularly surprised by the beauty of ordinary things, and the people I meet, and synchronicity.
    Let's leave worry by the wayside and trust in goodness. Let's believe that everything happens for a reason, and that ultimately, all that we experience is for our evolution and prosperity. When fear and stress come mongering around, let's move past our anxiety and choose instead to trust in the process of our lives.
 
When I catch myself being upset over potential future events, I take a deep breath and remember that everything plays out in the end.