*

*
*

Monday, September 1, 2014

TRENDS IN THE GARDEN

"Gardens are a form of autobiography."
~Sydney Eddison~

Last year, the garden was overflowing with perfect tomatoes; so much so that I was giving them away by the armful. And the pumpkins were well-proportioned and beautifully orange, and two years ago, the kale was just right.
     But this year, the kale didn't grow, the tomatoes are cracked and almost bitter, and the pumpkins are growing green and oblong. This year, it's all about the sweet potatoes: a beautiful and idyllic crop.
     Different things thrive under different conditions. And what is a no-brainer at one time can become an impossible task under a different weather pattern. So instead of expecting things to repeat their greatness, I have to open to new trends. That's the nature of the garden, and that's the nature of life.

I open my eyes and let nature teach me.