*

*
*

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

BACK SEAT DRIVER

"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."
~Dave Barry ~

It's easy to be a backseat driver with the people we love. They are driving, but we are there beside them telling them to slow down, not to miss the coming turn, to watch out for other drivers, and be careful in the construction zone. We think we are being helpful, and that our input is necessary and useful, but it's not. For my part, I dislike anyone telling me how to drive.
     We would do better, I think, to get out of the car entirely, and let them tell us about their adventure when they choose to do so and the time is right.

I resist the urge to give instructions and let the people I love make their own way down the road without my pestering input.