*

*
*

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

SITTING ON THE PORCH

"Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability."
~ Sam Keen ~

People, 
and especially country people, 
like to sit on the porch in the summertime.
I used to take a walk past an older couple's house every evening after work 
when we lived further North in the Shenandoah Valley, 
and as soon as the weather got warm,
and until it cooled, 
there they sat. 
I would always call my hellos, and occasionally, 
I'd stop and we'd chat a bit. 
They loved it best when the "air was stirring,"
And I loved to hear them say that,
And think of them both
Every time I feel the breeze when it's hot.
Molly and John.
They each had some health issues, so I'm not sure they're alive still,
But if they are, and if they can,
I'm certain that
on the porch is where they'll be.

Stirring summer air is a delicious sensory experience.