*

*
*

Thursday, March 6, 2014

BEING SICK

"God brings men into deep waters, not to drown them, but to cleanse them. "
~John Aughey~

It's rare for me to be sick, but on occassion, as with all of us, it does happen. I recently got knocked down by a stomach bug that sent me to my bed- good for nothing but lying there in and out of pain and sleep. My mind was poisoned like my stomach. Tree branches out the window looked like dragon snake heads coming towards me. And at such times, that's just the way it's going to be and the way it has to be... for who knows and how long. All we can do is endure.
     But eventually, we come around again, slowly, and by degrees. And when I came around, I made assumptions that I was all better and behaved in ways that knocked me backwards yet again. I overdid on multiple fronts. And that's my pattern. I have a tendency to over-do. Which is maybe why I had to get knocked down in the first place.
     It's a lesson in humility and limitations. It's a lesson in patience. There is nothing to do but get through it. No matter how we may muster our minds our our hearts we are down for the count, and that's where we have to stay and have to be until we have learned our lessons and done our time.

I appreciate the lessons of sickness. They remind me that I am not nearly so tough as I think.