*

*
*

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

THE VAGARIES OF YOUTH

"It's sad to grow old, but nice to ripen."
~Brigitte Bardot~
 
"There is no old age. There is, as there always was, just you."
~Carol Grace~
 
 
We are often wistful and nostalgic about our youth. "Ah, to be young again," we sigh. We romanticize what is behind us and long for what we remember most fondly from our past. And there's certainly nothing wrong with enjoying our memories.
     But I don't want to go back there, not really. Every day that passes grows me, and I wouldn't want to give up the bits of wisdom that I've gathered and the peace of mind that I've come to know. With age comes life's real blessings- comfort in our own skin, appreciation of the here and now, mature love, and the ability to laugh at ourselves and at life.We learn to roll with the punches. We learn silence and patience. We learn to really feel and honestly express deep gratitude for God's grace.
 
I celebrate another year of life and appreciate the calm and wisdom that grow within me as I age.