*

*
*

Friday, March 21, 2014

THE CHANGING OF PEOPLE OVER TIME

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then, I contradict myself.
(I am vast, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman~
 
 
I can't always explain or understand why people do what they do, but it's important that I let them do it, and refrain from judgment or criticism. I can trust that they have their reasons. It's easy to make assumptions about others, to pigeon-hole them, and to feel certain that we know what motivates them. But we don't know, not really, not even with the people we love.
     So our best bet is to remain curious and observant and compassionate, and to let each and every situation and every behavior- in ourselves as well as others- teach us something. We are not here to judge, but to learn.
 
I don't presume to know how others feel. We are all constantly changing, and what was certain yesterday may no longer be certain today.