*

*
*

Friday, June 29, 2012

CATASTROPHIC THINKING

     Often, we seek a big external fix when all that's actually needed is a small internal adjustment. Nine times out of ten, a shift in attitudinal approach will cure what ails us. We become frantic with our figuring and planning, and all the things that have to change immediately, and what it will all mean, and how it will work, or not work...
     But if we just change the angle of our perspective slightly, and restore ourselves to gratitude and faith, we may discover that nothing is broken after all, and that nothing actually needs fixing. Our problem is mysteriously resolved, and all we had to do to get there was to look at things a little differently. Both hardship and pleasure, in the end, are fundamentally a matter of perspective.

Before I panic and think I have to change everything in my life to feel ok, I get quiet and become willing to change my perspective on things just the way they are.