*

*
*

Thursday, June 7, 2012

PRECIOUS LIFE GRATITUDE

     It's an incredible thing to survive an accident that could have been fatal if things had played out only slightly differently. There's a moment of clear recognition that life is fragile, terribly fragile, and precious; and that we far too easily take it for granted.
     A patch of pooled water sent my car into 360 degree turns the other day, and flung me into another car that had done the same thing, and then the bank. When my head whipped forward and back with the final impact, all I felt was grateful. I had stopped moving, and I was in one piece: no blood. I was alive and ok.
     Accidents are accidents for a reason. We don't anticipate them, and they have the ability to rock our world. They come as reminders- that we are here by grace, ultimately, and grace alone. Given that truth, it seems to me that gratitude is our best operating system- that we are here! That we taste and smell and feel and dream! That we are able to hope... and love! That we wake up and have the ability to enjoy yet another beautiful day!
     There are countless many who are not so lucky.

I do not take my breath and beating heart for granted. I am grateful to be alive.