*

*
*

Monday, March 18, 2013

DRIVING THE DISTANCE

     Driving in a car alone is good thinking time. With the road humming beneath the wheels and the landscape constantly changing, my mind feels free to wander and explore, to consider and ponder. It is idle time in the sense that nothing is required of me except to sit and to steer and to be. It is quiet and soothing.
     Or, I can blast music and sing aloud. I can dance in my seat. I can cry or rage or recite poetry or whatever I please. Traveling alone in a car is private and productive time. It is covering distance, planning the future,  and reviewing the past. It is pleasant possibility, or arduous and grueling. It is whatever I make it out to be.

I allow the time I spend in my car to be soul-satisfying. If I look at it the right way, my commute is a blessing.