*

*
*

Monday, August 5, 2013

WANTING TO BE LIKED BY EVERYONE


     We can't please everyone, and occasionally something happens in life to remind us of that. An unexpected barb comes from "out there" and cuts us and stings. My instinct is to want to patch things up with whoever, to go forth with apologies, and to do whatever it takes to be liked again, and approved of again. And apologies are certainly appropriate when I have done something wrong. But when I have done nothing wrong in particular, then someone's distaste for me is not about me, but about them, and the thing to do is to have compassion, and let it go. I'm sure they have their reasons, as I do, when the shoe is on the other foot.
 
 I can't please everyone, and I am learning to be ok with that, even if it doesn't come naturally.