*

*
*

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

CURSE WORDS

"Language is the dress of thought."
~Samuel Johnson~

Sometimes I can get on a roll using curse words as adjectives and expletives and just to emphasize my point. In the past, I have felt a certain satisfaction in doing so, and when my children were little I used to tell them that using such words was a privilege of adulthood. But the truth is that when I hear other people cursing, it jars me. It seems startling and rude, surprisingly vulgar, and most definitely not-attractive. And that's not how I want to be. So it's a good reminder.
     Let's be instruments of courtesy in this rough and rugged world in which we live, and commit to not cursing. Let's clean up our language and find better words to emphasize our point.

I commit to not cursing. Life lacks courtesy enough without me adding to the vulgarity.