*

*
*

Sunday, April 9, 2017

GETTING STRAIGHT WITH OURSELVES AND OTHERS

"We excuse our sloth under the pretense of difficulty." 
~ Marcus Fabius Quintilian ~

It's easier to process "No," or "Not this time," or "I have a conflict," than a whole stream of excuses. What are we supposed to do with them?
     My neighbor's father died. I was on vacation and then my kids were sick. I mis-placed your phone number. I was so busy I couldn't take even five minutes to respond- seriously- I didn't even have five minutes!
     OK. But again, what are we supposed to do with that information? Apologize? Tell you not to worry, that we understand, that it doesn't matter... All of these feel a bit unsatisfactory. Just tell me what you can commit to, and let us both get on with our lives.

I live free from excuses.