*

*
*

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

SMALL PLEASURES

     I can get so caught up in future possibilities for happiness that I miss the small pleasures of the day. Small pleasures abound. Each experience has its own rich world of sensation, of sounds and smells and sights and feelings that are comforting, and beautiful even, each in their own way: the dark morning, cold water on my face, the taste of breakfast, the emerging light and the unfolding of the day, my clients' victories, the shared human journey of time passing, and my own energy rising and falling like the tides.
     If I don't enjoy these small pleasures, and all the others like them, I miss out on life's bounty. I miss out on the gifts and rewards, the deep satisfactions. I put them off instead of enjoying them now. If I get lost in the thoughts of past or future wrong-doings and backed up with fret and worry, I lose the pleasure of this day.
     I will be aware of my traveling mind today and commit to bringing it back to the present moment and the experience of each thing. It will launch away again, no doubt, but I commit to bringing it back, and bringing it back again. As many times as it travels, I will bring it back.

I am mindful and present. I enjoy the day and all of its experiences. I am grateful for the unexpected blessings of life's small pleasures.