*

*
*

Thursday, July 7, 2011

STICKS AND STONES

    
     Names and unkind words have a way of sticking and sinking in. When parents say to small children, "You're bad. You're clumsy. You're messy. You're shy." The children have a way of absorbing this information and storing it as fact. Let's bring ever higher awareness to spoken words, to the way we talk to others, and the way we talk to ourselves. It feels so much better all the way around to focus on the positive. "You're so responsible! You're graceful, smart, pretty. You're so good at organizing things. You're beautiful and creative. You have a wonderful sense of humor."
     Ah- it's a whole different universe that these words and thoughts occupy, and that's the space where I want to hang out. I don't want to contribute to the hurt feelings or the harm of anyone, not with my actions or my words. There is enough harm in the world already.
I look for the positive in everyone I encounter today and spread compliments instead of judgments.