*

*
*

Monday, August 29, 2011

AGELESS ENERGY

     I really do believe that age is a state of mind as much as it is a state of the body. I know six-year-olds that are like old women, and old women that are like little girls. The adult-like children are serious and well behaved. They are scornful of laughter and silliness, which is something that the child-like adults embrace. Youthful old people have a sparkle in their eyes and a playful nature. They have a sense of fun!
     I'm not sure where or how we learn that growing older in years has to mean loss of mobility and spontaneity and common sense, and ultimately, loss of self-sufficiency. Whose rule is that, and do we have to buy into it? Why can't we be as vibrant energetically at eighty as we were at eight? Surely our spirit has the ability to be just as lively.
     Let's not be old before our time. Let's not become musty and inflexible in our thinking or our actions. Let's move and stretch and dance. Let's walk and read and enjoy life's simple pleasures, unafraid of "getting old" and unafraid of death. Let's lovingly accept our changing bodies and become ever-better caretakers of our muscles and our bones and our skin and teeth and hair. Let's remember the importance of play and play regularly. Lets have fun with our time and our changing energy. Let's celebrate life everyday that we live, and feel good and youthful and forever full of promise and hope.

I enjoy my vitality today. I am playful and curious and bright and alive. I release musty, old-age thinking and celebrate my lively spirit.