*

*
*

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

EMOTIONAL PARADOX

     It's an interesting dynamic the way we can feel multiple emotions at one time: excitement and dread, fear and hope, love and hostility, courage and trepidation. Paradox seems as much a part of life as the changability of the weather. It's yin and yang, a little of this and a little of that, male and female, empty and full, dark and light. And I am all of those things too, inside of me, and out. I am enormous and tiny. I can't wait and I'm terrified to begin. I just ate and I am still hungry. I am alone and I am never alone.
     I guess it's just right the way it is. If I could only feel one thing at a time, my experience would be bland, much like a baked potato before the butter and salt and sour cream, or a soup with no seasoning at all. The multiplicity of emotion is like the pepper of life, the spice rack of our daily fare. So I'll take it, and enjoy the variety of each day's flavor. I have some peace, and a bit of anxiety, vibrant energy and bone tired exhaustion, tenderness and explosive strength. I have joy and calm and stress and frustration. I have happiness and fear. I have all of life's grand emotions, and the blessing each day to be able to feel them all.

I welcome the experience of my emotions today. I witness their variety, and the rise and fall of each one. I am grateful to be alive and to feel the range of feelings that I feel.