*

*
*

Friday, September 30, 2011

THE REAL LOVE ADVANTAGE

    It's an easy thing for those I love to take advantage of me, and sometimes, some of them do, and I let them. And sometimes, I set boundaries, and do not let them. But the purest love I know is the one that has the ready power to take advantage of me, and chooses not to. It is the most surprising thing; to be respected and considered, to be protected from the "taking" principle entirely and given to instead. And not by the induction of guilt or payback, but just because.
     What a gift and a blessing! I am startled by it every time. It's the real deal. It's trust and generosity and the antithesis of self-seeking. And the rewards of such love and such loving rain gently down upon the lover and the beloved both, and grow appreciation and grace, and ever more kindness. It's the snowball effect of love. It's simple and hugely rewarding from every angle, yet somehow counter-intuitive for most of us. Our egos grab at life and want to "get" things, as much as possible, hoarding for the comfort of self.
     But just for today, lets give to others and not worry about what we get or don't get. Let's give without attachment or agenda. Let's give because it feels good, and because we can. Let's leave our egos at home as we go out into the world, and smile broadly from our open hearts.

I consider the feelings of others. I am not worried about what I need to get, but concern myself with how I can be most giving. It feels good, and is its own reward.