*

*
*

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

STRAIGHTENING UP WHATEVER'S MESSY

     It's hard for me to feel at ease if there are discombobulated elements in my life; decisions hanging in the balance, paperwork in disarray, or a too-long list of duties undone. I accept that loose ends are part of my journey, and that I don't ever get to a point of "arrival" where everything is exactly how and where I want it to be. But still, things in my world require mental and physical organization on a regular basis.
    I do best when I have a plan, when I have time and intention set aside as necessary to stay on top of the pile. I am most comfortable when everything is in its proper place in the file cabinet of my mind. I have files for things to get done that simply require my time, and I can chip away at these. And I have files for next-step action on lifelong projects that I promise myself I will get to when I can. There are small decisions and life's daily chores and errands, and monthly bills and daily correspondence. And then there are the messes that need straightening up immediately or they will fester and mold; the  potential wreckage that requires clarity on my part, and bigtime decisiveness.
     I cannot skimp on any of it, or I pay the price. I must regularly organize my life at every level. If I do not, I suffer with irritability and foul temper, and the constant noise and rattling of a fretful and overwhelmed mind.

I take care of all of the little things that are causing me irritation. I make decisions that bring clarity and freshness to the messes of my life.