*

*
*

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

RETURNING TO CALM

"A cyclone derives its powers from a calm center. So does a person." 
~ Norman Vincent Peale ~

I am testy and irritable with our dog when I am overwhelmed or afraid. He's the ultimate measure of my real state of wellness. If I find myself annoyed with him for just doing what he always does, that's a pretty good indication that elsewhere in my life I have feelings to acknowledge and facts to face.
     Sitting quietly is generally a better help to me at such times than franticly rushing around and distracted busy-ness. I have to return myself to center, and too much movement keeps me lurching off track.
     So when we find ourselves unexpectedly irritable, let's take five  minutes and sit in silence; breathing, detaching from thinking, and listening with awareness to whatever we may hear.

I cure anxiety, restlessness, fear and agitation by slowing down, sitting down, and centering within.