*

*
*

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

WHAT WE DON'T KNOW

"Always when judging
Who people are
Remember to footnote
The words 'So far.'" 
~Robert Brault ~

We think we have a secret understanding of the future, of what's going to happen to people if they keep on going the way they're going. We are certain that we know best what they should do and how they should go about doing it. We get them all straightened out in our minds. If only they would listen to us!
     And yet, as experience after experience plays out, we find that not always, but often, we are dead wrong. Things work out that seemed impossible, circumstances twist and shift, accidents happen, and so do unexpected windfalls and softening edges with the passage of time.
     I think we would do better to worry about our own unfolding, and leave the journey of others up to them.

I catch myself thinking I know better in terms of other people and turn my attention back to issues of my own.