*

*
*

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

THE LITTLE THINGS

     My life has been a process of metaphysical inquiry. I have always been fascinated with spiritual matters, with miracles and healing and energy and love. In my teenage years, I approached these things darkly and esoterically. I thought "deep" matters were necessarily a bit occult.
     But what I have come to understand is that what's spiritual is actually obvious and well-lit. It is right before us in the light of day. And somehow we miss it. We look for it everywhere but where it is- in our small acts of kindness, and the morning sky, in the tastes and textures of a delicious meal, and the comfort of our beds.
     Enlightenment is not some kind of "out there" possibility designed only for monks and the seriously meditative. It is available to us all, each minute of every day. It is thoughtless awareness and absolute presence. It is free and simple and pure and accessible. It is the joy of being and the realization that we are ever-blessed with a multitude of simple pleasures, and surrounded on all sides by extraordinary beauty.

I quiet my mind and appreciate all of the little things in life... which are actually the big things, if the truth be told. :)