*

*
*

Friday, January 13, 2012

PITY TRAIN

     Self-pity is a mindset, and it's rooted inside of me and not caused by anything external, even if that's how it feels. It's fundamentally a lack of gratitude. My happiness and satisfaction return to me if I shift my perspective from whatever misery I'm focused on and return to the moment where good things are happening right in front of me if I only look with the right kind of eyes.
     We all have so much to be grateful for, the simplest of things, and the most complex, and yet, when we're fully engaged in the self-pity zone, it feels like we have nothing at all, that life is a bust and we've been jipped of the fun that everyone else seems to be having. Poor us. We have food and shelter and clean water that runs out of a tap whenever we turn it on. We have personal transportation and global communication devices, clean communities, and access to help and opportunity and decent medical care whenever we need it, if we only reach out. We have sunlight and moonlight and all the wonders of nature, full of inspiration, and completely free of charge. We have hope and basic sanitation and Starbucks and movies, books and poetry and television and commercial free radio. Poor, poor us. The weekends are too short. The weather isn't to our liking. We are too fat or too thin, and we have to get up every morning and go to work!
     My gratitude today is for the gift of life and the blessing of living in America, for the ones I love and my health and intelligence. It's ridiculous to focus on what I don't have, when what I do have is so much and so wonderful. My cup runneth over.

I shut down my self-pity machine and focus on the good stuff. I am blessed beyond measure. My life is a gift.