*

*
*

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

THE LIMITS OF PERFECTIONISM

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing."
~Harriet Braiker ~

I held a baby yesterday and remembered what it was like to be a new mother myself: chock-full of love and fear. I wanted to do everything right, and be a perfect Mom, but I struggled emotionally in the absence of my independence and under the weight of what I perceived as great responsibility.
     If I knew then what I know now, I could have relaxed and experienced my infant twins as more of a gift and an adventure and less of a cross to bear. But that's what comes with a bit of time and distance. With age, we learn to trust and enjoy others and stop trying to be so perfect ourselves.

Life doesn't have to be anything other than exactly what it is.