*

*
*

Monday, February 8, 2021

FLASHING SUNLIGHT

"A morning glory at my window pleases me more than the metaphysics of books."
~ Walt Whitman ~

Something I have discovered about myself that
I am newly clear on is this: 
I take great pleasure in small things.
Big views, big ventures, big crowds, big money, big responsibilities-
These all have a certain allure, but the truth for me is that
They're not what I want.
I want tender, elegant noticing of sunlight as it flashes across
Fabric or 
A face.
I want tiny flowers blooming in unlikely places.
I want subtlety and courtesy and gentleness
And a cozy room.
Big things have their place.
Big things have their moment, for sure.
But small things satisfy on a deeper level.
Small things soothe the soul.

I appreciate little noticings of great beauty.