*

*
*

Monday, May 2, 2011

TRUSTING THE PATH

     I think it's possible to be journeying along happily on a path towards the future with a plan and some faith, and then have someone come along and present me with all the possible things that could go wrong. I lose my stride and momentum. I fill with doubt and wonder whether I am entirely off course and need to think again about where I am headed. I hesitate and sometimes stop entirely. I lose my sense of happy-go-lucky joy. It's those helpful questions people like to ask like, "Have you thought about this possibility? Or what if that happens?" And where only moments before I was confident that it would work out no matter what, I am suddenly on alert and unsure. I find myself drowning in the whole overwhelming world of what if? And as the result of such helpful commentary by my peers, there have been times in my life where I have entirely changed my course.
     But more than ever, I am learning to value people who are not peddlars of the what if philosophy, and learning to seek them out. They ask me why not instead of what if? They tell me it will be perfect no matter what instead of asking if I am sure.... They get excited for all that is possible and what can be done instead of worrying and fretting over all that could go wrong. And they help to get me back on track. They return me to my joy and my journey with their simple belief. And I am grateful for their input. I smile and thank them and hope to return the favor. There's no percentage in trying to manage the future and guarantee outcomes. It makes for fearful energy and fruitless efforts at control. I far prefer the happy-go-lucky path and a heart full of faith.  

I will not be derailed today by negative energy or worries about the future. I will trust my path.