*

*
*

Thursday, June 23, 2016

CARE-TAKING THE SELF

"Man is never alone. Acknowledged or unacknowledged, that which dreams through him is always there to support him from within." 
~ Laurence van der Post ~

Sometimes when I stop long enough to let life settle, I feel a profound sadness. I always seem to discover after the fact and years down the road that I have misunderstood things, been foolish, had toppled priorities, and allowed others to dictate my path for me instead of establishing my own direction.
     I have betrayed myself in so many ways- by rushing, insisting, justifying, and pretending- and even as I understand that's just the way it is, and I have no regrets necessarily, it's still a sadness in my soul. I want to be less impulsive, learn from my mistakes and not repeat them, stop spreading myself so thin, sleeping so little, and disregarding my limitations so much.

I make a commitment to live with more care and less haste.