*

*
*

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

DISCOVERING TRUTH

     Life has taught me the process of discovering truth. I wrestle with something that isn't quite how I want it to be, a situation, a person, or a potential outcome, and I try out all of my known methods of manipulation. Perhaps if I come at it a certain way, I can make it be other than it is. If I approach it just so, it may become palatable, possibly even pleasant. So I come at it from one angle, enthusiastically, with total faith, and have no success, and then I come at it from a different direction, with the same passionate energy, all the while trying to exert my control, hoping that by sheer force of will, I can make it be what I believe it should be. I try everything. I'm not a quitter.
     And then, a moment comes, when all of my approaches have arrived at nothing, when the person or situation remains the same in spite of all of my efforts, and I see clearly what has been obvious in some way the entire time. It is a moment of recognition, of acceptance, a moment of "oh." That the situation simply is not working, or the person is not willing to change, or not capable of seeing my point of view, that whatever it is, simply IS. And no matter how I come at it, no matter how much energy or willpower or cajoling or fear I throw at it, I do not have the power to change it. It is what it is.
     In that moment of recognition, I stop fighting and wrestling. I let go. There is surrender and relief and freedom. I have understood the truth at last.

What am I wrestling with today? I am willing to stop fighting what I cannot change.