*

*
*

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A GOOD REMINDER

     I heard a teaching story the other day that struck a profound chord within me. It has changed the way I think about the future and focused my awareness such that I catch myself needlessly fretting and am able to return to presence and inner calm.
     A man was traveling a long journey on foot, through woods and over mountains. He knew that there was a river ahead and worried obsessively about what he would do when he got to it. He was afraid he would not be able to cross, that the water would be too high, the current too strong, the distance too wide. He knit his brow and held tension in his neck worrying over how he would cross that river... when the entire time, unbeknownst to him, there was a bridge.

Instead of fretting and worrying over the future today, and trying to figure it all out in advance, I will trust that there will be a bridge.