*

*
*

Monday, February 28, 2011

A LESSON FROM CHILDREN

    Most young children lack self-consciousness. They approach life openly, expecting to be well received. They approach strangers with smiles and simple, love-filled words. They stare. They walk up and peek over my shoulder to see what I am writing. They tell me all about themselves.
     "I talk alot," a little boy told me the other day. "I can talk for hours." And then he showed me a picture he was drawing of his grandmother. Children ask questions. They are not afraid to not know something. They expect anyone and everyone to help them understand.
     But it is different with some children and with most adults. We have been shouted down, rejected by peers, made fun of, emotionally abused, unappreciated; we have had to toughen up, keep quiet, stay out of trouble. We have grown armor. We have built walls. We expect life to batter us.
     It is our healing path to open again, even after being shouted down, to stand up for ourselves and believe in what we have to offer, even if others do not. We learn to love and support ourselves, in spite of the cruelties and injustices of the world, and as we do that, the world seems to shift too.
    
I will be like a child today. I will open my heart and trust that someone out there wants what I have to offer.