*

*
*

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

CAUTIOUS, NOT TENTATIVE

     There's a difference between being cautionary and being tentative. One implies wisdom, the other, fear. To approach life, and risky situations, with a certain amount of care, and slow movement, and with our eyes wide open, is one thing. But to hold back because we are afraid we will get hurt is another thing entirely.
     I prefer caution. It's a safer bet in the long run. When I am tentative I am halting and stammering, and in some way I actually increase my risk. Hesitation interrupts life flow and creates a jam-up of energy, a stop-gap in the works of forward momentum, and an opportunity for injury.
     We are so disabled by our fears, on every level. Let's move through the day with care and intelligence. And if we find ourselves sticking and hesitating, let's acknowledge the fear we feel but move forward in faith anyway. Let's trust the day and our full range of experience, and not miss out on anything by holding ourselves back.

I am careful but not afraid. I pay attention and recognize danger, but I do not create it by hesitating and halting. I move through the energy of the day smoothly and with full awareness.