*

*
*

Monday, September 19, 2011

LISTENING

     If we are honest, I'd be willing to bet that unless we are exceptionally aware, we hear what we want to hear, no matter what is being said. Often we do not even wait for a person to stop talking before we begin our response, because we know in advance what our response is going to be to what we are sure they are saying. How arrogant of us to be so sure we know so much! And yet, we all do it.
     Let's commit to listening. That's what we all really want anyway, and need. We long for others to really listen to us with interest and their complete attention. And in return, we can listen to others with our full attention. We learn by listening, and we can so easily brighten someone's day with our simple quiet focus directed their way. Let's try it! Let's catch ourselves wanting to interrupt and think we know everything and stop. Let's become silent within ourselves, and curious, and learn to listen from the heart.

I really listen to others today. I listen to my children and my spouse and to all of the people that I encounter. I listen with curiosity and compassion. I listen with an open heart.