*

*
*

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

UNDERSTANDING WHAT MATTERS

"Rejoice with your family in the beautiful land of life!" 
~ Albert Einstein ~

This Christmas will be the first in 23 years that I have not spent with my children, and realizing that yesterday walking through a parking lot, I felt a wash of sorrow and loss- a great missing. I know that it's ok. I know that they are adults now, that they will be together, that it's just another day, and life will go on.
     Nonetheless, even knowing all that, I feel sad for it.
     We've had some challenging Christmases in the past so I thought it might be a relief to keep it simple this year and do our own thing, and now that I'm too far away to even make it an option, I realize how flippant I was about something immeasurably valuable, and primal, and deep.

I honor, acknowledge, and appreciate the irrepressible bond of family.