*

*
*

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

WHAT'S HELPFUL

"The only gift is a portion of thyself."
~ RW Emerson ~

I used to think it was helpful to make suggestions when someone shared a problem with me, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I think it's ok to say that I had a similar experience (if I did) and here's what helped me, but to have the audacity to say, "You should try THIS," well, that's another thing entirely. Maybe they have tried it, and it didn't work for them, or maybe there's a legitimate reason why they haven't tried it, or maybe it's just not their path.
     Most of the time, what people need is not to be told what to do, or what to take, or how to fix something that they may not even think is broken, but to be listened to, acknowledged, and heard.

I stop jumping the gun in communication with others and really listen from the heart.