*

*
*

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

RECOGNIZING THE POSITIVE

     No matter how I might try to pretty it up, there is not much good that can come from fault finding and criticism. I have heard that whatever I focus on increases, and I believe that to be true. If I am looking at problems, someone's imperfections, the small things that are bothersome and produce irritation in me, then I become like a hair trigger, ever more sensitive to all the negativity I see everywhere.
     And if I speak up about my discoveries, so much the worse. That gives them voice and vitality. The one who has been poked at cannot help but shrink and recoil, or else lash out in defense. There is no positive response to negative judgment. It is shame producing. And I'm not sure about constructive criticism either.... not sure there really is such a thing, especially if its volunteered. If someone asks for help or wants suggestions in order to be more effective or successful, then the proper response is more about guidance and instruction than it is criticism.
     Pointing out all the things someone is doing right has a magical effect. Suddenly she seems to do more things right. She flowers before me as I point out her greatness, her uniqueness, her successes and her special beauty. When a person feels appreciated and valued, she is suddenly able to perform beyond her own expectation. And the positive results produce more positive feelings and so it grows. I choose to focus on the positive today, both in myself and all those I encounter.

There is no percentage in criticism. I will notice positive quailities today, including my own.