*

*
*

Friday, May 27, 2011

THE DETERMINATION OF WORTH

     Who determines how much we are worth? How would you answer the question? How much are you worth? Because I am a better cook than I am a carpenter, does that mean I am worth more in a kitchen than I am in a woodshop? Or is there something deeper to me? A more intrinsic kind of impossible-to-measure value, a value of potential, teachability, life-force? Is my worth determined by the attention I get? Or the people who love me? Or how much money I make? Or my car or my physical beauty or my courage or strength? Are some people more worthy than others? And if so, why? Who says? I find these interesting questions, and they make me wonder and think.
     I know that I can discount myself any time I want to, and that I can allow others to discount me as well, or I can go the other way. I can inflate myself. But ideally, I am neither puffed up nor deflated. Ideally, I am just right as I am. Depending where I set my boundaries and how abused I allow myself to be, I can be bright and priceless, spiritual, glorious, and divine, or I can be enslaved and pathetic, undeserving, guilty, and ripe for the infliction of punishment.
     So, how much am I worth? Maybe the best answer is that I am as worthy as I consider myself to be in any given situation. I am as worthy as I feel. I am as worthy as titanium or mud depending on my perspective and my inner sense of things. I am as worthy as I allow myself to be.

I am worthy of love and appreciation and kindness and respect. It's up to me to establish the boundaries.