*

*
*

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

LOYALTY

     I feel a powerful loyalty to the people I care about, and that extends beyond my immediate family. The loyalty I feel to them- to my husband, and children- is strong beyond understanding; fierce and aching in its intensity. But the loyalty I feel to the people I work with is equally intense in its own kind of way.
     I feel protective of them. I have an interest in who they are, and what they're up to. I care about what what happens to them, how they feel, and what makes them happy... and sad. From a certain angle, caring as much as I do might be considered a liability. But I choose it. I choose caring over not-caring. Caring connects me to life, and to people, and work. Caring gives these things meaning beyond the daily regimen and structure.
     I might be able to make more money if I were less loyal. And I might have a more raging sort of personal freedom, but I might also feel less connected to the world I live in, and probably also feel less joy in my heart. It makes me happy to love people. It makes me happy all the way through. So I'll keep on loving them, and keep on caring, and keep on feeling grateful every day that I am a part of something so much bigger than myself.

I get to know the people I encounter regularly, and allow myself to care about them, without apology, and with my full heart.