*

*
*

Friday, June 1, 2012

THINKING BEFORE SPEAKING

     We must allow people their dignity. If we observe someone speaking in error, or doing something that we feel could use correction, we can take the time and consideration to choose our moment and our method to make a suggestion. We needn't call out everything we see. We needn't make people wrong. We can be subtle. We can be kind. We can consider the most loving approach to others and ask ourselves, "Does whatever I have to say need to be said? Does it need to be said by me? And does it need to be said by me right now?" These are useful questions.
     We can spare people embarrassment by pausing briefly to think before we speak and consider the consequences before we blurt out our opinion. Our opinion is not as important as we think it is. It's not as important as allowing another human being their dignity and self-respect.

I don't have to express everything I think. I consider thoughtfully before I open my mouth.