*

*
*

Friday, March 7, 2014

PROCRASTINATION

"Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task."
~William James~
 
I'm not much of a procrastinator, but on occasion, with certain things, it seems almost impossible to get going. And I'm not sure why. Usually, I plunge forward with enthusiasm and take pleasure knowing that I am on the way to checking another item off of my to do list. But now and then, I find myself hung up in the most unusual way and in the most unlikely place, completely lacking my familiar let's get it done attitude. I feel almost paralyzed. Perhaps it's fear.
    Perhaps I am afraid of whatever I may perceive the likely outcome of my action to be. Or that I somehow won't be able to measure up. Or, perhaps I feel lackadaisical about getting going because I am certain that no matter what I do it won't be perceived as being enough, so I will have to do it again, and perhaps, again. Re-doing things causes me a fair bit of angst. Maybe I procrasitnate when I am faced with the same thing for the second time... or the third.
    But no matter the reason behind my not taking action, the only way out and through and beyond is to is to act, so act I must. I just have to do it, and then it will be done.

I do whatever is before me, even if I'm not particularly looking forward to it. The sooner I get to it, the sooner I will be able to move on.