*

*
*

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

BAITED HOOKS

     Sometimes I get to feeling overwhelmed because so much is happening in my life on so many different fronts at the same time. It can be positive movement and still be overwhelming because of all that I cannot control. I have an illusion that things should occur on schedule and according to my plans, that I should have an important impact on outcomes; that what I do and think and the ways I speculate about the future matter deeply. But the truth is that they don't.
     Whatever is going to happen happens, often in spite of me and my plans and visions. Very little of what I expect and fear and worry about even transpires. I get so hung up on hooks of fear, hooks of future projection, hooks of expectations, inner insistences and demands, that I forget to wait and see. I forget to leave room in my forward looking for unexpected curves and vistas. I find myself entirely hung up on the hooks.
     Sometimes I am caught so that I need help to disentangle, and sometimes I have to cut threads and slice what binds me. Sometimes I have to struggle and wrestle until I am free, and sometimes I just have to let go of my grip because I am the only thing holding me up. There is relief in being free of the hooks and allowing life to unfold. The trick is not to get caught up again.

I will see the bait today that wants to hook me, and let it pass by without taking a bite.