*

*
*

Friday, April 15, 2011

SPACE FOR DREAMING

     Life easily becomes overfull. When it does, before I melt down or lose my ability to be calm, I need to pull back and regroup. I need to take a look to see what part of my day has become cluttered like the catch all table in the kitchen. A frequent sort through and organization is required. I need to focus and prioritize, return to center and remember who I am and what I am all about.
     There is so much in life of potential interest; so many ways I want to invest my time and energy. But I have to be selective or I will become scattered and frazzle from the inside out. It helps to be clear about what matters, but even that is not always obvious. There are things which matter according to my culture, to my parents, to my own sense of obliagtion and my age-old built in beliefs. And then there are the things that always matter, but don't always feel like they do, the things that keep me emotionally stable: my self care, getting enough sleep, eating right, communicating my fears and feelings. Oddly, these are first and most easily sacrificed in the face of some new excitement.
     If I continually overfill my plate and continually find ways to stuff a bit more of life onto the edges and scoop it on top in a big mound, my quality of pleasure suffers. I lose my ability to recognize and enjoy the small details. I Find myself wanting to lash out at others and I feel burdened and bitter. I get heavy and weighted down from too much. I am learning that in life, as in everything, less is more. I can qualify my activities and let some go. I can simplify and slow down. I can experience more joy, more laughter, and more relaxation. It's not a race after all, not an accumulation fest, and not a contest to see who can do the most in the least amount of time. It is life and unfolding and space and surprise. It is following my heart and doing what I love and being with people who inspire me and spending time alone. If I leave a bit of room, anything is possible. If I leave a bit of room, there is space for adventure and community and self reflection and all of my dreams.

I will leave space in my day today for the unplanned.